The second season of Leah Remini’s Lifetime reality show, It’s All Relative, will explore the actress’ much-publicized departure from the Church of Scientology.
In a sneak peek at the premiere obtained by People (below), Remini says that she decided to leave the church following the birth of her daughter, Sofia, in 2004.
“I decided I didn’t want to raise my daughter in the church because from what I’ve experienced and what I saw, the church becomes your everything. It becomes your mother, your father, your everything. You are dependent on the church,” she explains.
“I just didn’t want her to be raised that way, because let’s say in 10 years if I don’t want to be connected to the church anymore, my own daughter would be taught to disconnect from me.”
Indeed, Remini has been labeled a “suppressive person” by the church. As Remini tells it, that means “the church has put a stamp on you which says you are bad. They then go to all your family and friends and say you have to disconnect from the suppressive person.”
In the clip, Remini says that her friend was declared an SP for not disconnecting from another SP.
When reached for comment, the church told EW: “It comes as no surprise that someone as self-absorbed as Leah Remini with an insatiable craving for attention would exploit her former religion as a publicity stunt in a pathetic attempt to get ratings for her cable show and seem relevant again. She is rewriting history and omits that she was participating in a program to remain a Scientologist by her own choice, as she was on the verge of being expelled for her and her husband’s ethical lapses.”
The second season of It’s All Relative premieres Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET on TLC.